Monday, April 28, 2014

Living Gluten-free: The Beginning

My life consisted of three things; school, baseball and sleep. I was living the typical worry-free life of a high school junior. Waiting restlessly for spring to roll around and bless the 2012 Blazer varsity baseball team with beautiful weather, I had worked relentlessly during the offseason in preparation for the season. On pace to have my most productive year, I felt as if the Blazer baseball gods had blessed me with what would be projected as a remarkable season. About halfway through the season, things took a turn for the worst.

In the midst of a strong season, I became gravely ill. I was constantly vomiting all the food I ate and was unable to muster up the strength to go to school. It seemed as though I simply had a stomach virus, but we would soon know that was not the case. My sickness lasted for about two weeks. TWO WEEKS of laying in bed, not going to school but most of all not playing the game I've played since an early age. Within the span of these two weeks I became extremely frail, dropping about fifteen pounds. I had gone to numerous doctors but found no explanation as to what made me so sick. There were so many possible reasons why I was feeling the way I was, though doctors really didn't know what I had. Thus began the process of figuring out what exactly happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment