Sunday, April 27, 2014

Living Gluten-free: The Journey to the Truth

Numerous doctors performed several tests on me. It was definitely the worst period of time I had experienced in my short seventeen years. Appointment after appointment no answers were given. It felt as if all hope was lost as I became too exhausted to care. Finally, we had one more test to go through, an endoscopy.

It was the morning of the procedure, I was eager to find out what had made my life a living hell. After undergoing anesthesia, all I remember was blacking out. About an hour later, I woke up abruptly from my medicine induced sleep. I was so out of it, I remember attempting to drink apple juice but I failed miserably as I spilt it all over myself. Finally, after this procedure we determined what was making me sick. I had been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Celiac Disease is the inability to properly digest gluten; therefore, causing a various number of allergic reactions. I was relieved but had no idea the obstacles I faced in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment